The toddler allowance is part of the Participation Allowances and is intended for all 3-year-old children who have enrolled in Dutch-language education in time, and children aged 4 years old who remain enrolled and attend school frequently enough.
Who receives the toddler allowance?
Your child must satisfy a number of conditions in order for you to receive the toddler allowance.
- Your child attends a Dutch-speaking kindergarten in Flanders or Brussels Capital.
- For 3-year-old children:
- Your child turns 3 on or after 1/1/2019.
- Your child is enrolled in a Dutch-language school in time, meaning before 3 years and 2 months of age.
- For 4-year-old children:
- Your child turns 4 on or after 1/1/2019.
- Your child remains enrolled in a Dutch-language school.
- Your child attends a minimum number of hours at school. This implies: 150 half school days in the first kindergarten class or 185 half school days in the second kindergarten class during the school year.
How much is the toddler allowance?
All 3- and 4-year-old toddlers who satisfy the conditions receive a toddler allowance of EUR 135,25 per year.
How do you obtain the toddler allowance?
Do you live in Flanders? Then you don't have to do a thing. The toddler allowance is paid automatically as soon as the Ministry of Education and Training sends the enrolment information to the child benefit payment provider.
Please note: if you live in Brussels or Wallonia - and your child attends a Dutch-language school in Flanders or Brussels-capital - this does not happen automatically and you must actively apply for the toddler allowance.
Is your child attending pre-school for the first time?
Starting pre-school is an important new step for your little one. It can take a lot of getting used to. And the same applies to mum and dad. Fortunately, most pre-schools organise an introductory visit at the end of the summer holiday and prior to the first day of the new school year. Take advantage of this. It's an ideal opportunity to meet your little one's pre-school teacher and familiarise yourself with their classroom.